Monday 25 April 2011

Living with obsessions

I'm from a generation of perpetual bloggers. Talking about ourselves is no longer the obnoxious act that it once was. It's therapy. It's cleaning out the cluttered closet that is your mind. It's telling your innermost thoughts to the world, behind a virtual mask. I feel that I can be honest on here; this is going to be my diary that will be available for all of the world to see. I don't for one moment believe that anyone will be interested in what I have to say; as the saying goes, it's better out than in, and this goes for our thoughts and opinions. I'm sick of reading everyone else's blogs, envying them for being brave enough to post. At the very least, this is a form of free counselling, something that does anyone the world of good. Ninety percent of the time I can't fit my thoughts onto Twitter, or Facebook, and aren't they just miniature ways of blogging? 


So, what might my blog include? My personality is quite eclectic, some would say it's borderline bipolar. My interests vary, and I don't tend to stick to one thing for a lengthy period of time, so expect my posts to be random, to say the least. That being said, when I do really enjoy something, when I get totally immersed in a hobby, or a film, a book or piece of music, then I develop obsessions with them. Let's remind ourselves of what it means to be obsessed: 




ob·ses·sion

  [uhb-sesh-uhn]
–noun
1.
the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistentidea, imagedesire, etc.
2.
the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
3.
the state of being obsessed.
4.
the act of obsessing.

ob·sess

  [uhb-ses] –verb (used with object)
1.
to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desiresof (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently orabnormally: Suspicion obsessed him.
–verb (used without object)
2.
to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwellobsessively  upon something.

Yep, those simple definitions pretty much sum up my attitude towards things, or people, or places... I am an obsessive person, but the object of my obsessions (or desires) change frequently. Therefore, my blogs for the next month or two will likely be about Harry Potter, OPI, Jessie J, maxi dresses vs. jumpsuits, palazzo trousers, Fearne Cotton, converse, sobriety, Robert Pattinson, Dawson's Creek... the list is endless. 



imgres.jpg
Epitomises my teenage years!

imgres.jpg
The delightful Fearne Cotton
imgres.jpg
Am I too old for converse, at 25?





imgres.jpeg
Never so relaxed as when it's summer
As I sit here on my bed, the sky is a clear shade of alice blue, so pale that it could be nearing to both dusk and dawn. The birdsong makes me feel relaxed, it reminds me of early nights as a child, when I'd try to fall asleep listening to the sound. It's the turn of the seasons. Spring is developing rapidly into summer, and my winter obsessions seem a true thing of the past. My character is so different depending on the time of year. I feel more at home with my bohemian self during the summer months. In winter I love the restrictions, and conforming to society, but it's now when I begin to embrace freedom. And I love it! 



I want to know what everyone else is obsessed with at the minute. Are there plenty of other people like me out there, who can't stick to one, solitary object of desire and who have to obsess over many things? Or is my love of being enslaved with such a range of topics more an indication of how fickle life, and people, can be? 





No comments:

Post a Comment